Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Giving Up Is Not The Answer

Giving Up is not the Answer!!
By Carolyn McCardell
 

I was just thinking about the NFL football players who were recently lost at sea when their boat capsized.  They were all in the same boat. They were all in the water after the boat capsized, and they all were wearing life jackets. They clung to the capsized boat for hours with no sign of help in sight. Sadly, although four men were on the boat, only one survived.  I wondered how the others didn’t make it. What was it that made the one survivor so special? Did he have any special kind of training? I couldn’t understand it.  

During the news coverage the survivor was interviewed. He said that the others had lost hope when it seemed that they wouldn’t be saved, so in a sign of s urrender, they took off their life jackets. How sad is that?  Instantly my question was answered, but then I began to wonder, would the others still be alive if they hadn’t taken off their life jackets.

I don’t pretend to understand what these men might have been going through as they treaded water for hours, without food, without drinkable water, without shade to shield them from the full force of the sun. Maybe they felt like David in Psalm 13:1 when he wondered “How long will you forget me, Lord Forever? How long will you look the other way when I am in need?”  I can only imagine what they were going through, but I truly wish that they would’ve never taken off their life jackets. Also, my heart is heavy for the families of the men who were lost. It must be a deeply hurtful feeling to have lost someone you love under those circumstances.

In the Christian walk there are times when we are faced with difficult situations that seem to have no end in sight. Often, the thought of giving up (taking our life jackets off) enters our minds. I would like to encourage someone who is harboring this thought, including myself, by saying that giving up is not the answer. We must remember that the hope we have in Christ is our life jacket. In 2nd Corinthians 4:16-17, Paul tells We don't give up. Our bodies are becoming weaker and weaker. But our spirits are being renewed day by day. Our troubles are small. They last only for a short time. But they are earning for us a glory that will last forever. It is greater than all our troubles.” 

We have to put our trust in God when we feel like giving up and taking off our life jackets or giving up on our marriages or giving up on our dreams, or anything else that is en the will of God for our lives. Giving up will cause us to miss out on the plans that God has for our lives. In Jeremiah 29:11 the scriptures say "I know the plans I have for you," announces the Lord. "I want you to enjoy success. I do not plan to harm you. I will give you hope for the years to come.” &nb sp; 

How can we enjoy the success that God has for us if we give up?  Choose life and don’t give up. On the way home I saw a church sign which has these words ‘Trying times are not the time to quit trying.’ How is that for confirmation?

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment