Friday, August 26, 2011

PEACE IN THE MIDST OF TURBULENCE

PEACE IN THE MIDST OF TURBULENCE

BY Carolyn McCardell


I am not a frequent flyer I have only been on a plane a few times in my life, and those times were relatively smooth trips. However on a trip to Oregon, I had a layover in Las Vegas. As the plane made its final descent into the Las Vegas area it began to shake and shudder in a way that I had never experienced before. At first, I tried to remain calm, but after a few moments of the bumpy ride my nerves began to unravel and I was on the verge of panicking. I began to look around the plane cabin to see if anyone else was as unnerved as I was. Much to my surprise, some passengers were reading a book, others were watching a movie, and the person I was traveling with comfortably asleep. I thought to myself, am I the only one who is afraid of this plane spinning out of control and crashing . Then I realized the reason why the other passengers were calm. The other passengers had been through turbulence before, and so they weren’t as easily rattled as I was. It also occurred to me that this is similar to the emotional rollercoaster that might be experienced by someone who is new in Christ. Often when someone is new in the Lord if they experience turbulence in their Christian walk, they began to panic. This is why it is vital that new Christians have access to more seasoned Christians who has experienced spiritual turbulence. At some point in our lives when we grow up in Christ we should be able to spirtually set examples for those who are new to the faith and who are watching our response in the midst of the turbulence that we might encounter in our lives. I don't know what you might be facing today but I just want to encourage you to face it with hope and not defeat because someone is looking at your response. Keep in mind, that we were all experiencing the same turbulent ride, but it was their response to it that gave me peace in the midst of it all.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment