Monday, August 29, 2011

Moving Forward Despite Turbulence

Moving Forward Despite Turbulence
By Carolyn McCardell
It’s important not to let a little turbulence keep you from arriving at your destination.  After the a layover in Las Vegas I had some reservations about getting back on the plane heading to Oregon.  The thought crossed my mind to just stay in Las Vegas and figure out another way to Oregon.  I realized I had three options. I could’ve just given up on the idea of making it to Oregon and catch a bus back home, which would have been very disappointing to my friend who was expecting me in Oregon.  My other option was to finish my travel to Oregon by bus, which would have taken much longer, cutting down on the time that I would’ve had to spend with my friend. Lastly, I could have stayed in Las Vegas. I looked at my dilemma through spiritual eyes seeing it as comparable to what many Christians go through. In the physical sense I had to go through turbulence to arrive at my destination. In the spiritual sense, often times we have to go through trying circumstances in order to receive our blessing. The first option I had was basically giving up.  A lot of Christians give up too early on their spiritual journey.  The moment that they experience difficulty in their lives, they make an about face, and rationalize their spiritual retreat by saying things like: ‘this is not for me’ or ‘it just wasn’t meant to be’.  By turning back in the other direction (e.g. back to sin and ungodly behavior) they totally miss out on the destination (blessing) that God had in store for them.  The second option was trying to figure out an easy way around a hard problem. Many Christians when faced with a problem try to use human means to deal with difficult circumstances. When we attempt to arrive our blessing by using methods that seem easier, it demonstrates a lack of faith and can potentially delay or cancel our arrival.  The last option should have never been an option, however we often find ourselves choosing to neither turn back nor move forward. Many Christians enter into a state of stagnancy in their walk with Christ, they don’t desire to turn back, yet they20lack the courage to move forward.
I n the Christian walk, it is inevitable that we will experience turbulence. In John 16:33, Christ tells his disciples that in the world there will be tribulation. He follows this statement by encouraging them to be happy because he had already overcome the world. We must remember that even in difficult times God is in control. Much like my experience on the airplane, when I remembered who God was my fears were diminished and I no longer let the turbulence drive me into a state of panic.  Upon arriving at my destination the reward was sweet because I had plenty of time to spend with my friend. Likewise, when we endure turbulence in our lives as Christians, we will receive our reward in Christ.  Finally, just as I shouldn’t let a little turbulence detour me from enjoying time with my friend in Oregon.  Christians shouldn’t let spiritual turbulence detour them from experiencing the fullness of God.
God bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment